History

The Masur Museum of Art was built as a private residence in 1929. A lumberman by the name of Clarence Edward Slagle had the modified Tudor estate built for his wife Mabel. The Indiana limestone and Pennsylvania blue slate used to build the home were transported on various waterways to the scenic Ouachita River, which runs behind the estate. Originally the grounds included an English style rose garden and a lawn extending down to the river. When the Army Corps of Engineers built the levee system in the 1930s, the home’s carriage house was moved behind the new levee.

The home went up for sale in the early 1930s and was acquired by the Masur family. Sigmund and Beatrice Masur and their children Sylvian, Jack, and Bertha Marie, lived in the home until the 1960s. The Masur children donated the home to the City of Monroe in 1963 to be converted to a fine art museum. Initially the museum began to present exhibitions and art education through the hard work of docents and volunteers. Then in 1974, the Twin City Art Foundation was formed to provide additional support for the museum, providing funding for exhibitions, educational programs, and the permanent collection. To this day the Masur operates as a partnership between the City of Monroe and the Twin City Art Foundation. The Masur Museum of Art is a division of the Department of Community Affairs within the City of Monroe.

Recent expansions and renovations to the Masur Museum of Art include the addition of the River Galleries in 2005, gallery renovations to all interior walls in 2008, carriage house apartment renovation in 2009, installation of a custom made sculpture by Shayne Dark on the front lawn in 2012, and a new roof in 2014. Through all of these changes we’ve managed to update and modernize the museum in amazing ways while maintaining the character and charm of the original home.